If you’re an online retailer, you should think about incorporating sweepstakes into your marketing strategy. They’re an efficient marketing channel for expanding your business, generating more leads, promoting your brand, and increasing sales.
A sweepstake is simple and inexpensive to run, and the benefits are far greater than those of many other marketing methods when done correctly.
Email subscribers, new customers, and increased followers on social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest. Increased brand exposure and awareness can all result from a single promotion and increase sales.
Planning and Construction
Sweepstakes are a low-cost marketing promotion method that can have a significant impact on growing an audience and building a business. However, before running sweepstakes, you must plan it out so that you have a road map for success with a set of predetermined goals.
Many businesses believe that by giving something away for free, they will receive a flood of new visitors, email subscribers, Facebook likes, and sales. Unfortunately, without a well-defined goal and a solid marketing strategy, this is rarely the case.
To start creating your roadmap for a successful giveaway, plan out each step of your promotion until you reach the goal that you want to achieve. You can begin building your sweepstakes once you have a clear roadmap.
Setting up your sweepstakes is a good start, but if you want to accelerate your sweepstakes and meet your goals, you’ll need a solid marketing plan.
Here are 14 different ways sweepstakes can bring real and measurable results to marketers:
1. Make a blog post
Writing a blog post about your sweepstakes is an excellent way to notify customers and prospects that you have a promotion going on. Your post should include a brief description of the promotion, how to enter, what prizes are available, and when it will end. Bonus points if you can explain how winning the sweepstakes will benefit the reader’s life.
2. Send a newsletter via email
Send an email to your list announcing your sweepstakes and providing a direct link to the entry page. Even if these people are already on your list, you should still promote them because if they enter, they will share the giveaway with their friends and family (Facebook and otherwise)
3. Share it on Facebook
Make a post about your giveaway on your Facebook timeline. Include an image of the prize that will catch people’s attention, as well as a brief description of what they can win. Finally, in your post, include a direct link to the giveaway.
4. Share it on other social media portals
In addition to Facebook, promote your giveaway on Twitter by sending a tweet with details about what people can win as well as a direct link to the giveaway page. Pin the giveaway to Pinterest, and share it with your audiences on Google Plus, LinkedIn, and Instagram as well.
5. Make use of video
Creating a video is no longer a difficult task, thanks to the power of smartphones. You can easily create short video clips to promote your sweepstakes using Vine, Instagram, or YouTube. A good starting point would be to make a short video clip showing the prizes available.
6. AdWords by Google
If you’ve set aside money to promote your sweepstakes, Google AdWords can be an effective way to reach your target audience. It enables you to target specific keywords that people are looking for and have your promotion appear in search results.
7. Blogger promotion
Bloggers are always looking for great content to share with their readers. Make a list of 10 or 20 bloggers in your niche and send each of them a personalized email about the sweepstakes you’re launching and how you believe it would be a good fit for their audience if they’d be willing to promote it for you.
8. Collaborate with another company
Collaboration with another company on your giveaway is a great way to increase the number of prizes and gain more exposure. Contact companies that are related to your niche but are not direct competitors to see if they would be interested in offering one of their products as a prize in your giveaway. If they agree, you now have another company to help you promote the giveaway. It’s a win-win scenario.
9. Publish a press release
Use a service like PR web, Pitch Engine, or PR Newswire to create a press release and schedule it to be sent out on the day the promotion goes live.
10. Incorporate a message into your packages
Tossing a little card inside each package telling them to enter the promotion is a great way to get people to enter your sweepstakes if you ship out physical products. Remember that just because these people are already customers does not mean that they will not refer their friends and family to you.
11. After transaction communications
If you sell a product, including a link to your sweepstakes after checkout can be an excellent way to collect entries. Because these people have already purchased something from you, they will most likely be delighted to have the opportunity to win something.
12. Collaborate with YouTube channels
Some incredibly popular YouTube channels may be the ideal partner to help promote your giveaway. Look for channels in your niche with many subscribers and make sure their videos have many views.
To get them to promote your sweepstakes, you may need to offer some form of compensation (either monetary or in the form of a gift- many of them review products for their audiences).
13. Banner of your sweepstakes on the business website
Most visitors to your website’s homepage will be unaware of your sweepstakes unless you notify them. Make an image that can be displayed on your homepage and links directly to your giveaway.
You can also use a simple service like Hello Bar to notify people on your homepage that you are running a giveaway. It appears simple, but many businesses simply do not realize it is an option.
14. Offline marketing
Social media and digital media aren’t the only ways to publicize your giveaway. If you have a physical store, consider how you can use walk-in customers to raise awareness for your competition. Here are some offline promotion ideas:
- Tossing a little card or flyer inside each package telling them to enter the promotion is a great way to get people to enter your sweepstakes.
- Make a check-in contest to encourage people to visit your physical store.
- Promote the contest at local events and communities in which you are involved. Create a banner or say something about your giveaway if you occasionally organize events. Using QR codes generated by a QR Code Generator is a good idea.
If you want your giveaway or contest to be successful, you must promote it frequently and on all available platforms. Make a page on your website for the giveaway, include details in your newsletter, and regularly spread the word on social media. Change your phrasing and timing on social media and monitor the response rate as you do so.
You may find that more people are willing to participate in the evening when they have “distraction time” and are winding down for the day. Contests, like any other marketing activity, can always be improved.
RewardPort sweepstakes can increase sales by up to 200%. Encourage customers to buy your products by offering them the chance to win big. Sweepstakes are ideal for brands seeking to introduce new items and boost trial numbers. Nothing beats sweepstakes to get users to buy your products.
Got a Marketing Challenge at Hand?
Running Facebook contests is a tried-and-true method of gaining likes, followers and creating thrill around a product or brand. It’s also a low-cost social media marketing strategy because you choose the budget and the prize.
A Facebook sweepstake is the simplest method for lead generation and growing your social media following. Facebook sweepstakes can help your business increase sales and spread brand awareness like wildfire.
Set Contest Objectives
A Facebook contest must have a clear goal to benefit your business. If your goal is to gain more followers, consider why. Why is that goal critical to your company? You’ll come up with a better goal every time you ask yourself this question. Continue until you have one that is in line with your business goals. You can begin with the following common Facebook contest objectives:
- Increase your following by 1,000 people
- Gather 1,000 email addresses
- Increase brand loyalty
- 10% increase in website traffic
- Increase brand awareness
Important: Make goals as measurable as possible. This is accomplished by substituting a number, such as “Get 200 new followers” for “Get new followers.”
One Facebook contest could potentially achieve all the above objectives. If you decide to go for all of them, try to prioritize the ones you believe are most important.
Select a Prize
Your Facebook contest prize should be exciting enough to entice your target customers to participate. When selecting a prize, keep the following in mind:
- Affordable and relevant prizes: A costly and irrelevant product may be unable to attract qualified leads or target audiences.
- Custom or limited-edition products: People enjoy receiving unique and special prizes, so consider offering a limited-edition prize or allowing the winner to select a design (color, engraving, etc.).
- Provide coaching sessions: Businesses in B22 can offer a one-on-one session with an expert, which is a great way to build a reputation.
- Combine multiple prizes into one: A prize package increases the appeal of the contest.
- Devise a prize that meets requirements: If you own a beauty store, give away a popular item such as a nail paint or makeup product. Online retailers can give away gift cards (allowing the winner to choose their prize) or a personalized item such as a bag or water bottle.
Select a Contest Type
A Facebook giveaway is the most straightforward type of contest, but it is not the only one. The best way is to determine your objectives. A photo contest, for example, may be better for increasing engagement, whereas a caption may be better for spreading brand awareness.
Popular contest types include:
- Sweepstakes: The winner is chosen at random (typically using services such as random.org).
- Photo competitions: Request that followers share a photo with you, either through private messages or on the brand’s page. The winner is selected by the community.
- Comment-to-win: Ask your followers to respond to a question in the comments, and the best one will win.
- Caption: The person who comes up with the funniest or most creative caption for a photo wins.
Rules for Writing a Contest
Inform prospective participants of your guidelines and requirements. The best method is to create a bullet list of rules.
Keep the following in mind when creating Facebook contest rules:
- Entry Rules: Describe the action required to enter your contest, such as making a purchase, leaving a comment on a Facebook post or blog article, and so on.
- Rights to public exposure: These rights are required to be able to announce the winner.
- Deadlines: Set the start and end dates for the contest.
- Laws: Every Facebook contest must abide by all federal, state, and local laws, as specified in the rule’s description.
- Process of determining the winner: Explain how you will choose the winner by listing the judging criteria.
- Prize. Describe the contest prizes for the winner, runner-up, and any additional contestants, if any.
Facebook algorithms and policies must be followed to ensure the success of your brand’s contest. Check the Facebook contest rules on the Policies page, for example, as there are a few specific rules for promotions. For example, Facebook prohibits requiring participants to “share the contest on your timeline.” That is why “share to enter” style contests are not advised.
Create a Contest Landing Page
A contest landing page is a website that promotes a contest and collects information from participants. Brands create landing pages to collect participants’ email addresses, communicate with them, and effectively promote the contest. The pages could be designed in a variety of styles, ranging from complex with videos to simple with a sign-up form.
Many landing page techniques are also used by online businesses to encourage participation.
A/B testing of contest landing pages is another way to collect valuable customer data.
You may discover that one type of marketing copy generates more engagement than others. For B2C and B2B businesses, A/B testing generates 25% and 40% more leads, respectively, so consider creating multiple landing page versions to find more effective marketing tactics.
Publicize and Market Your Contest
When you click the “Post” button, the campaign to promote your contest begins. Use all available channels, such as emails, blog articles, website pop-ups, chatbots, Facebook posts, advertisements, and so on.
Write a brief message announcing the contest and encouraging people to enter.
To publicize your Facebook contest, do the following:
- Explain the main prize (or add the photo)
- Make certain that the promotion emails include a link to the contest landing page (if applicable)
- Encourage your friends to enter the contest, friends and family recommendations are trusted by 81% of customers.
A positive contest experience for all participants is critical for driving engagement and leaving a lasting impression. 71% of online customers who had a positive social media experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others.
To make a pleasant experience for participants:
- Participate in the discussion by leaving comments.
- Send an email to everyone who participated, thanking them for their time.
- Your goal should be to contact each participant and express gratitude for their participation. Some online stores even send discount codes in exchange for entering.
Declare the Winner with all grace
Ways to congratulate the winner of your Facebook contest:
- Create a post in which you congratulate them
- Include them in an email newsletter
- Create a brief blog post
- Before announcing the results, try to get a “celebration photo” from the winner (ask them via email). It would be an excellent way to make a great announcement.
- Write that announcement in friendly and positive language; it’s a better way to communicate with customers than “legal style.”
Examine Contest Results
Approximately, 48% of marketers track brand-related metrics.
Facebook giveaway performance metrics can help you gain more customer insights and identify areas where you can experiment with ads and promotions.
That is why you should consider contest-related performance. Examine audience data to see who has been the most active and could thus be targeted with future marketing campaigns.
With RewardPort social sales strategies, you can run engagement campaigns on any social media platform. The key is to have an acute understanding of your customers and their interests.